Five Tasty Ways to Get Your Daily Dose of Nuts!
Not only do nuts taste utterly delicious, they house a host of nutrients that help boost our health. A good source of beneficial fats, magnesium, potassium and a variety of antioxidants, not to mention a touch of protein, these little gems provide us with a great balance of nutrition to round out meals, snacks, and yes, desserts! A recent JAMA (Journal of the the Medical Association) study found that those who consume nuts more often, lower their risk of death from some of the most chronic health issues like high blood pressure and diabetes.
Here are 5 simple ways you can reduce your risk of disease and enjoy a tasty treat.
- Toss walnuts or pecans into your salad. Toast to give an extra burst of flavor.
- Throw cashews into a stir fry with sugar snap peas, ginger, garlic, and carrots.
- Top plain yogurt with hazelnuts, cocoa powder, vanilla and a touch of honey for a Nutella-esque sweet delight!
- Put almond butter in a food processor with dates and cinnamon and a bit of salt. Roll into balls or spread on a sheet and put in the fridge for fruity nut snack.
- Add pistachios to a quinoa salad with olive oil, lemon juice, green onions and your favorite herb.
Have fun experimenting with how nuts can find their way into your daily diet. Seeds are wonderfully beneficial as well. If you haven’t tried sunflower seed butter, tahini (sesame seed butter) or pumpkin seed butter slathered on an apple or banana, give it a try! Your taste buds (and your ticker) will thank you.
If you are interested in purchasing nuts, fabulous nut butters and other healthy products at a discount, check out www.ThriveMarket.com (my special link) and get $25 off your first order. For every paid membership, they donate a free membership to a family in need! What a way to get and give at the same time! Eating healthy has never been so easy and so inexpensive!